Employment Opportunity • Assistant Curator
POSTED ON Oct 11 2018 • deadline for application [EXTENDED]
Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art | Employment Opportunity
Position: Assistant Curator
Supervisor: Executive Director
Full-time (40 hours per week)
Plug In ICA, 460 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, Canada
Image caption: Days of Reading: beyond this state of affairs installation shot at Plug In ICA. Photo: Karen Asher.
This position is essential to the successful operations of Plug In ICA, a dynamic, internationally recognized, and award-winning centre for contemporary art that researches and presents exhibitions, publications, workshop, youth programs, screenings and events. This position is intended to progress into a full Curatorial position in one to two years depending on the candidate’s experience and collaborative process.
Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Curator will administer the co-ordination, planning and presentation of Plug In ICA programs including exhibitions (from shipping to condition reporting), publications (including budgeting and production co-ordination) and public programs (from events to youth education and exhibition didactics).
Key to this position is overseeing public programs from lectures to youth education program planning, production and delivery. This includes producing curriculum guides as well as working with artists to develop and implement education workshops. Planning and implementing our Respondent Series and working closely with the facilty of our Sumer Institute programs.
The Assistant Curator also provides key organizational and delivery for Plug In’s marketing and promotional activities, writing press releases, coordinating invites and posters, social media and media lists.
The Assistant Curator will demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving and self-motivation while working as part of a team, making contributions to the overall operation of Plug In ICA while contributing to our programs.
The candidate should have a relevant MA or MFA degree or equivalent experience or training in visual art, art history, curatorial studies or related field.
A minimum of 3 years experience in arts administration, programming or a related field is a basic requirement.
Excellent communication skills, written and oral, are prerequisite, as well as exceptional attention to detail, including proof-reading and editing capabilities.
1. Co-ordinates exhibitions, including conducting research, writing exhibition copy, assisting with exhibition publication production, contributing to exhibition planning and production, such as writing media releases, promotional material, text panels and label copy as assigned;
2. Plans, delivers and evaluates public programs, including artist talks, lectures, workshops, panel and roundtable discussions, special tours, film programs, etc., including co-operatively developing youth education programs with others in the community;
3. Ensures professional and efficient delivery of public programs, ensuring set up of events by working with appropriate staff to provide tables, chairs, audio/video equipment, signage, documentation, etc.
4. Co-ordinates the production of exhibition publications including the Institute’s exhibition brochure; assists with preparation of graphic and text material content as assigned;
5. Assists the Director in planning and executing the exhibition program, liaises with artists;
6. Maintains a broad and current professional knowledge of activity in contemporary art and related fields;
7. Coordinates artwork traffic including shipping and insurance;
8. Coordinates the preparation of contracts, loan agreements and correspondence with artists, curators, etc.;
9. Tracks and reports on program expenditures and budgets;
10. Coordinates touring exhibitions originating from Plug In ICA;
12. Represents the organization in the community through participation on committees and public events;
13. Assists with shared administrative duties of all staff: filing, answering phones, maintaining databases, etc.;
14. Other duties as assigned.
Plug In ICA welcomes applications from Indigenous individuals, people of a visible minority, persons with disabilities and LGBQTI peoples. For purposes of equity employment we encourage self-identification in confidence.
Interested candidates should submit letter of interest, curriculum vitae and three references (including contact information) by November 19, 2018.
Renumeration: Salaried position with benefits. $36,000 – $42,000 CAD depending on experience, including benefits.
This is a salaried position that generally requires availability Monday through Friday with an occasional weekend, evening, and some holiday work. ________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please submit applications to:
Angela Forget, Operations Coordinator
Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art
Unit 1, 460 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0E8
Plug In ICA thanks all candidates for their interest but only those to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.