Employment Opportunity at Plug In ICA • Operations Manager
POSTED ON NOV 24, 2022
Employment Opportunity: Operations Manager – Full Time
Position: Operations Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
Permanent Full-time: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday 10 am – 6 pm, with flexibility to work evenings and weekends for special events
Location: In person at Plug In ICA, occasional remote work may be possible
Salary range: $42,000 – $52,000, dependant on experience
Application Deadline: December 7, 2022
Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) is a dynamic, internationally recognized, and award-winning centre for contemporary art that researches and presents exhibitions, publications, public and outreach programs. Established in 1972, Plug In was created as a not-for-profit exhibition space directed by a board of practicing artists. It began as one of the first (and few) organizations on the prairies to focus exclusively on contemporary art, and has retained this model while expanding its vision in significant ways. Over the past fifty years Plug In has grown to serve local, national, and international audiences with a variety of programs and activities. The organization speaks to multiple communities who—while diverse in character—share an interest in contemporary art and the analysis of contemporary culture.
Plug In ICA seeks an experienced individual to contribute to its successful operation, the individual in this multi-faceted administrative position will participate in all levels of the Institute’s operations.
What Plug In ICA is Seeking:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Manager provides administrative and operational management and support according to priorities established by the Director. Demonstrating self-motivation and initiative, the Operations Manager is expected to maintain the stable operation of the Institute.
Logistical and Administrative
- Providing support and coordination for Plug In ICA’s day-to-day administrative operations, as well as short and long-term planning;
- Managing gallery facilities, equipment and inventory, insurance and security matters, as well as venue rental;
- Maintaining and managing data and information related to the Institute, its website, archives, electronic files, etc.;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Managing finances, e.g. maintaining accounting files including invoicing, consignment and banking transactions;
- Working with monthly Bookkeeper on month end reconciliations and budget tracking;
- Main point of contact for the annual audit, with support from Executive Director, Bookkeeper and third-party auditors;
Development and Fundraising
- Tracking and assisting with correspondence in the stewardship of patrons both corporate and individual from major gifts to membership drives;
- Providing overall coordination of Plug In ICA memberships, patron relations and other revenue-generating activities such as ecommerce and retail sales;
- Human Resource support including managing bi-weekly payroll, assisting Executive Director with hiring and onboarding new staff, ensuring compliance with employer best practices and regulations;
- Supervising and coordinating visitor services staff and volunteers: gallery attendants and interns.
- A minimum of five years experience working in an administrative capacity is essential providing senior level support to projects, office management, supervising staff and operating with a significant level of independence.
- Proficiency in a computerized accounting environment such as QuickBooks.
- Working knowledge of fundraising programs such as GiftWorks.
- Relevant post-secondary education degree or diploma required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, are prerequisite.
- Excellent attention to detail, including proofreading and editing capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, and to establish and maintain good working relationships with public and staff.
- Experience in the non-profit sector and an arts background is preferred.
- A second language is an asset.
- Valid driver’s license is an asset.
What Plug In Can offer:
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and will fall with the range of $42,000 and $52,000.
- A health benefits package is available following successful completion of a 6-month probationary period.
- Staff members are offered Plug In Memberships and a 20% staff discount in the Plug In shop.
- Vacation starts at 2 weeks plus paid vacation during an annual holiday office closure.
- Plug In ICA is a tight knit team dedicated to supporting artists and sharing their work with the community.
Plug In encourages applications from visible and invisible minority group members including Black persons, Indigenous persons, People of colour, women, persons with disabilities, persons across the spectrum of sexual orientation and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are committed to removing barriers to participation.
Should you require accommodation for disabilities during the application process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae and letter of interest by 5 pm Central Time on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
Full job call available below:
Plug In thanks all candidates for their interest, but only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit applications to:
Allison Yearwood, Executive Director
Unit 1, 460 Portage Ave, Winnipeg MB R3C 0E8
We are on Treaty 1 Territory. Plug In ICA is located on the territories of the Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
Plug In ICA extends our heartfelt gratitude to our generous donors, valued members, and dedicated volunteers. We acknowledge the sustaining support of our Director’s Circle. You all make a difference.
This exhibition was realized with the support of the City of Ottawa, the Ontario Arts Council and the Canada Council for the Arts, as well as the RBC Foundation’s support of the OAG’s Connect: Artist Mentorship Program.
The artist acknowledges the support of the Canada Council for the Arts
We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Canada Council, the Manitoba Arts Council and Winnipeg Arts Council. We could not operate without their continued financial investment and lobbying efforts.
Plug In ICA relies on community support to remain free and accessible to all, and enable us to continue to present excellent programs. Please consider becoming a member of Plug In ICA and a donor at https://plugin.org/support or by contacting Erin at email@example.com.
For more information on public programming and exhibitions contact Allison Yearwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information, please contact: email@example.com or call 1.204.942.1043